Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Buzz, Buzz, Buzz...Busy Bees!

Holy Canoli!
What a day. It's a been a busy one. The three other teams from Portland arrived today along with our coach and getting everyone settled in and organized has been a trip! The host hotel is about 6-7 miles away from the rink and it's been a car-pooling frenzy. We are all in different locations and it's a bit of a commuting nightmare, but we'll sort it all out.

Paul and Michelle Harvath arrived today as well. Love that pair! I worked professionally with Paul back when Portland hosted "real" Nationals in 2005. We sat in the media room in 2005, had lunch, and shot the breeze with a bunch of other photogs from all kinds of different news organizations from around the country. And, of course, they all know each other, so I got to be the brunt of all the jokes! Well, Paul has not changed one bit! What a hoot that man is! LOL. I can NEVER tell when he's serious and when he's just pulling my leg. I look quizzingly at Michelle, and all she does it shrug her shoulders roll her eyes and gasp, "Get used to it!" Those two are some of the best photogs in the biz. I envy & respect their photographic talent and am honored to be competing with them.

Practice for one hour on the east rink went well this morning. There were seven teams on the ice and there were a few near misses, but all is well. And everyone is cheerful, happy and as always without a doubt, very sportsman-like. You can almost garauntee that here.

The big story this year in the dance world is injuries and illness.
Tim and Terri....you are in our prayers tonight. Tim has come down with the flu and sick in his hotel room. Now, Terri is feeling it. They skated practice today, and looked fabulous. I think their Starlight Waltz is just stunning! Go Tim! Get better....think healthy thoughts. After all the hard work they have put in this year, (Tim passed all the way through Silver dances to be able to skate Pre-Gold with Terri this year. What is that? 13 dances?) , plus they are learning two Pre-Gold dances for competition and put together their OD! Phew! Tim is a skating machine! We will be rooting for you and sending you healthy energy!

Ok...so Jordan and I have been crazy running around all day today and I did not get a chance to take too many pics. Sorry, everyone. I know that's what you love. I'll do better tomorrow. Promise. I tried to take video with my phone today and I just can't get it to upload at the moment. Sorry!

What IS EXCITING????
Competition starts tomorrow!! Yeah! Most of the dance events are at night, so many of us are practicing mid-day or so and then our official warm-ups are about 1-2 hours before our event.
The costumes are ready, the music is in. Now all we have to do is skate those compulsories on-time and with great edge. Got Edge anyone? Oh and don't forget to COUNT. As my coach Anthony says, "The only thing I want you guys to do is COUNT!"

The starting orders were posted and I really only looked at our event (too much going on today). We skate the first dance 3rd and the second dance 1st. It was funny, though, when they posted the starting orders. People everywhere! Coaches, athletes, spouses, friends...they were crammed up against the wall three to four deep! LOL. Alas, that all too important starting order. It defines half your competition strategy!

Tomorrow's dancing includes Pre-Gold and Gold initial rounds, plus some Pre-Bronze and Bronze events. The higher level teams are skating the Argentine Tango & The Quickstep (Gold) and The Starlight Waltz & The Blues (Pre-Gold). I promise I will do my best to report on what happened behind the scenes as much as I can AND provide more pictures. Especially tomorrow. It's the first day of AN 2007!!!

Until Next Time,
---J

No comments: